Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ads on Uniforms

The Toronto Star is reporting advertisements on NHL uniforms might be just around the corner. To add insult to injury it's an idea that's supported by several players including Martin Brodeur and Dominik Hasek.
It's an awful idea in my opinon, and I couldn't disagree more with Dwayne Roloson.
"They have (uniform ads) in Europe and it doesn't take away from the true jersey look," he said.
The Star also reports a few teams are in financial trouble despite the new collective bargaining agreement, and adding ads would help the troubled teams.
"Clubs like the Phoenix Coyotes, Nashville Predators and Atlanta Thrashers are hemorrhaging money – one investment banker who specializes in pro sports says the Coyotes have lost as much as $30 million (U.S.) a year in recent seasons."
Sorry to say, but I'd rather see them move or fold before I and other die-hard fans have to endure the monstrosities like the uniforms in Europe.
Photobucket
Anyway the ads to take away from the uniforms contrary to what Roloson said.
It's also a slippery slope. Soon after the goalies don NASCAR-like unforms, all hockey players will be wearing them.
I guess the NHL didn't get my memo that I won't buy jerseys anymore after the RBK Edge disaster. This proposed move will set my resolve in stone.
Below, Brodeur sports a proposed new ad-ladened sweater.
Photobucket

No comments: