Monday, July 14, 2008

Breaking the streak

I broke the four-month streak.
Over the weekend I watched ESPN. It wasn't one of my prouder moments.
I was down in Nashville for the IndyCar race, and one of my cousins lives there.
We attended the race with his sons and niece. Nashville Superspeedway is a great track, and I hope IRL keeps it on the circuit.
So getting back to his home, after the race, we wanted to see the highlights. Since ESPN showcases IndyCar, we tune to the four-letter.
Call us the kings and queens of wishful thinking, because we were disappointed.
Not one highlight of the Firestone 200, but tons of NASTYCAR and MLB coverage.
So we tune it to the Ocho's coverage of track and field. When do the Olympics start?
Foolishly, I think ESPN will cover IndyCar on Sunday. So before everybody else wakes up I try again. ESPN offers maybe, MAYBE, five seconds of Scott Dixon's win. My estimate is generous. This is from a network that has exclusive coverage of the IndyCar series.
I realize NASTYCAR is more popular. I get that. Yet popularity doesn't make something better. It's also reasonable, in my opinion, for me and other IndyCar fans to be upset at the "sports leader" for their woeful coverage of a sport they supposedly support.
The American football games that are played in arenas received more coverage.
So anyway, this proves to me that my boycott was justified.
Regardless of all that I still watched the "four-letter" tonight to see the home-run derby, and I'm glad I did. That was entertaining and uplifing.
I figured that sometime over the summer my boycott would end. I like IndyCar and baseball too much. Still I somewhat regret my decision.
Any NHL fan who thinks the League would be better off on ESPN is delusional. My experience this weekend proves it.
Anyway, tomorrow is another day.
Day 1, again, of another "four letter" boycott.

No comments: