Tuesday, November 25, 2008

NHL Payroll

Seriously. I don't mean to sound like a pompous a--, but I should be on the NHL payroll.
Prior to arriving at Indy's hockey oasis, the only bar that I've found that has CenterIce, all that was on was American football and basketball.
I walk in, sit at the bar, and get hockey on TV. First the Versus game. Not just above the bar either. One of the managers turns it on, and then it's on several screens throughout the lower level.
About 10 p.m. I ask for the Red Wings - Canucks game. He tunes it to that game while the Versus game is still on other TVs.
Finally enough American football fans leave.
"Can you please turn the football game sound down and the hockey game up?"
"Well we're not supposed to." It's corporate rules - Indiana sports, Monday night games, etc.
In any case they - bartender and a manager - make an exception.
Now, listening and watching Red Wings hockey, I'm in hockey heaven. Sadly as the bar is closing I have to leave early in the third period.
I'm hard on the NHL at times, but I'm also a passionate fan. I promote the game whenever and where ever I can. Tonight was no exception.
By the way, it's to bad the Wings can't hold onto a lead.

No comments: