Monday, November 17, 2008

Johnny Hockeyseed: Thoughts after a 4-0 Red Wings win

Finally! As a Detroit Red Wings fan it was good to finally see them play in a dominate fashion. Kudos to the Wings. They played a complete game for 60 minutes. It's the best I've seen them play so far this season.

Watching tonight's game at Indy's hockey oasis, I was reminded of my escapade last week during the Wings - Penguins game. I started out watching the game at my favorite bar. Since the game was on Versus, my bar would have it. I strolled in and sat down at the bar.
"Can I help you?" the bartender asked.
"Can you please turn the station to Versus?"
"What's that?" she asked.
"It's a sports station, the Wings - Penguins hockey game is on."
"Do we get that?" she asked another employee.
This wasn't the first time she'd seen me. She had to know how big a hockey fan I am, but then again, maybe not. She probably sees hundreds of people everyday. So I give her the benefit of the doubt.
"You do," I said unperturbed. "It's either 603 or 604."
I'm a seasoned pro at people, and particularly ignorant sports bar employees, not knowing what Versus is. Seems ridiculous, but some people just don't take their jobs seriously. Eventually the station is turned, and a Capitals game is on. I order a beer, a meal, and wait for the Wings game. Sometime during the game I realize I can't stay. I'm thinking I need to get up early for a job-related function the next day. So I leave early.
The main point behind that story is that hockey wasn't on when arrived, but it was when I left.

Heading back to my car, I realize I left way too early. It's relatively early in the night and the game wasn't nearly over. So I head to the newly opened Buffalo Wild Wings.
I make my way back to the bar, and sit down.
"Can I help you?" the bartender asked.
"Depends, can you turn on the hockey game?" It seems every other sporting event that night was on except that.
"Ahh a counter-offer," the guy sitting next to me said.
"I'll see," the bartender said. Can I get you something to drink?"
"You can if you get the hockey game on. I'm not ordering anything until I know I can watch the Wings - Penguins game."
"You must be from Michigan," the guy sitting next to said and laughed. The guy sitting next to him agreed. I'm wearing my red Red Wings jacket, and I don't feel like explaining.
"Yep, I'm from Marshall."
"I'm from Ann Arbor," he said.
In the back of my mind I'm thinking I can't catch a break.
I stay and eventually not only is the Wings game on one of the side TVs, but also on one of the big TVs directly in front of me.
The Penguins win, and I'm disappointed.
But the main point behind that story is that hockey wasn't on when I arrived, but it was after I got there.

So nearly a week later, I head down to Jillians, Indy's hockey oasis.
It's basically the same routine, albeit not the Wings - Oilers game isn't on Versus.
The bartender finds it on one the satellite stations. It's the feed from Canada.
The point being hockey wasn't on when I arrived, but it was after I got there.

Just call me Johnny Hockeyseed.

So here's my other thoughts, specifically during tonight's game vis-à-vis the Monday night American football game.

When the hockey game was tuned in for me, more screens showed it than ESPN's pre-game show.
When the American football game started the bar's management turned the music down, and the American football game sound up. That was disappointing to me. If music is on during a hockey game then it can be on during an American football game.
When both games were being played, five screens showed the hockey game, and five showed the American football game.
Only three tables, a total of about five people, appeared to be watching the American football game. Two of those three tables were empty by half time.
Only one person, me, appeared to be interested in the hockey game. I stayed the entire game.
When I left, after the hockey game's completion, four scores had been scored in each game, excluding the American football game's PATs.
It's my opinion, though I didn't see one score in the American football game, that none of those scores were exciting as any of the goals in the hockey game.
It's also my opinion that none of those scores were even as exciting as the Wings post-rattling miss.
At one moment during the games, there was nearly three minutes left during the hockey game and about 30 seconds left in the first half of the American football game, et the hockey game still finished before the American football game went to half time.

No comments: