Sunday, February 22, 2009

NHL and the media, part 5

Today while I was driving I heard on the radio Dan Moriarty and Lincoln Kennedy talking hockey.
Great!
Kennedy was talking about how he's becoming a hockey fan. How watching today's game of the week, Capitals versus Penguins, was part of his professional development, and because it featured Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin.
Then Moriarty says he grew up playing hockey, so he's a fan. Kennedy said something like, "What else could I watch? I'm sports fan, there was really nothing else to watch."
So the banter continued like that. Hey this is great I'm thinking. There was hardly anything derogatory like one finds with most sports talking heads, like over at the four-letter.
So then they segued into basketball and said something like, "Now we're going to break down some college games."
Then I realized what was missing. While Moriarty and Kennedy talked about hockey, it's relevance, that Kennedy had watched the game, what they didn't do is break down that game. Heck, they didn't even mention the score of that game!
Hockey has a long way to go.

No comments: