Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Praise for the shootout

Back when the shootout was first proposed, I was skeptical. Then I read Brendan Shanahan favored the idea. So then I became more accepting of it. Seeing it a couple of few times, seeing the fans enjoyment of it, I'm all for it now. To me it's no more ridiculous than four-on-four hockey. In fact I'd be wiling to go straight to shootout after regulation for regular season games.
The postseason should remain as is.
A few weeks ago I read the below quote at The Hockey News.

(Jean) Beliveau spoke about the quality of play in the NHL since the lockout and he likes what he sees.
“When the NHL came back, the only thing I had concerns about was the shootout,” Beliveau said. “I didn’t think that was a good idea. But when I saw the enthusiasm from the fans for it, I changed my mind. I think it’s a great part of the game, but I’m glad they don’t do it in the playoffs.”

That's awesome. When a hockey great of Beliveau's stature comes out in support of it, then it's time for everybody to jump on the bandwagon.
Drink the Kool-Aid; it's good!

No comments: