Saturday, January 03, 2009

Classic sweaters, apparel, ratings

OK, maybe this will be my last Winter Classic related blog entry.

The Red Wings and Blackhawks throwback jerseys were great in my opinion. Seeing them on the ice bumped up my initial thoughts about them. Last year's sweaters were too, but I'm not a big fan of the Penguins baby blue ones. They just have so much winning history with the black and gold ones.
One blogger wrote Detroit should keep the D sweater. I disagree; I'm in favor of keeping them for special events. The D jerseys will probably be a third jersey for Detroit next year.
Anyway while I'm a big fan of the looks of the Winter Classic jerseys, I'm not a big fan of the new-style sweaters. The authentics are expensive, and the replicas look horrible and feel cheap. So I don't know if I'll ever buy another NHL jersey, which is a shame.
That said there was other apparel I saw on TV or in pictures that I loved.
The jackets the coaches wore, the coats the players wore, the toques the players wore, and a hoodie I saw a fan wearing. See below.

jackets

coat_toques


I can't find the hoodie, but it's red with the D on it. It's available in black, but not red. The Wings don't wear black. Anyway good luck finding any of those things on the NHL website. I can't, but I'd buy every single one of those items. Disappointing.

As I mentioned yesterday, the ratings were up by 12 percent. Disappointingly, Detroit finished second behind Chicago. Also, more people in Detroit watched the Michigan State Spartans lose in a bowl game than watched the Red Wings win the Winter Classic.

More Detroit television viewers go Green than Red
Looks like Hockeytown was really Spartytown on New Year's Day.
The Winter Classic hockey game, shown locally on WDIV Channel 4, between the Wings and the Chicago Blackhawks had a 10.5 rating and a 20% share in Detroit. That translates to 203,000 households.
During pretty much the same time slot, the Capital One Bowl between MSU and Georgia aired on WXYT Channel 7. It beat out the Wings, drawing a 15.2 rating and a 28.3% share. That's roughly 293,000 households.

How many households in Detroit were watching the CBC feed instead of the NBC feed? That would be nice to know.

Here's the breakdown.

Top 10 Metered Markets:
1. Chicago 11.8/21
2. Detroit 10.5/20
3. Buffalo 10.1/20
4. St. Louis 5.3/10
5. Pittsburgh 4.4/8
6. Denver 4.2/10
7. Providence 3.5/7
8. Indianapolis 3.4/6
9. West Palm Beach 3.3/6
10. Orlando 3.2/5

Indianapolis, my hometown, finished eighth, pretty good for a city without an NHL team. Boston and New York aren't in the top 10. Those towns might be involved in the next Winter Classic. Of course maybe those two cities weren't "metered."

No comments: