Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mike Brophy seeks new job

Apparently The Hockey News' Mike Brophy wants a new job. He's tired of writing negatively about the NHL, and he wants to be Gary Bettman's public relations guru.
Below are the changes he'd lobby Bettman to make so NHL fans will like the commissioner.

• Do away with this phrase: "In keeping with club policy, terms of the agreement will not be made public." Gary, tell your dopey GMs we live in a salary cap world and contract information must be made public.
• Turn down the damn music. I come from an era when just being at the game was good enough. Throw in a little organ music if you wish. If I wanted to go to an AC/DC concert, I’d go to an AC/DC concert.
• Speed up video replay. I can’t count the number of times when I have seen a call come into question and the geniuses watching tape keep on watching after a definitive view has been shown on TV.
• Have home teams wear their white jerseys so fans can see more color from the visitors. And while we’re on the subject, how about encouraging teams to get away from predominantly black uniforms. Bring back the purple and gold of the Kings and the baby blue of the Penguins.

The first change I really couldn't care less about. Either way, it's fine with me. Here's my caveat though - I don't think it will change fans' perception of Bettman.
The second change: I've been to some arenas and the music is too loud. Others it hasn't. Here's my caveat though - I don't think it will change fans' perception of Bettman.
The third change: Here I agree with Brophy. But to me it's not worth complaining about because officials want to make sure. In any case NHL officials are faster than NFL officials in making a decision. Here's my caveat though - I don't think it will change fans' perception of Bettman.
The fourth change: My initial reaction when the white to dark change was made one of acrimony. I've since softened my stance. While generally I prefer white jerseys, it doesn't really matter to me anymore. On and the Penguins wore black before just about any other team, they changed in 1980 to be like the championship-winning Pirates and Steelers . They should keep black if they want. Any other team, except Boston too, I kinda agree. Here's my caveat though - I don't think it will change fans' perception of Bettman.

About a week before Brophy posted his article, the members at LetsGoWings.com discussed why they hate Bettman.

My response then:
His obvious love of and favoritism toward Brian Burke is enough for me to hate him.
Yet there's so many more reasons ....
Conference, division name changes.
Safety net installation.
His immeasurable duplicity.
... to name just a few more.

While going back to Adams, Prince of Wales, etc. is infinitely cooler than geographic names - some erroneously like Detroit and Columbus in the Western Conference - the geographic names predate Norris, Campbell, etc. So that's a wash, and it doesn't concern me much anymore. The others I still stand by.

Another LGW member posted this:
He has only one priority, more money for owners. Fans and players be damned.

That has merit, but Bettman works for the owners. The real problem is he doesn't necessarily look out for the greater good of the game.

Or as another LGW member posted:
He should have an eye on the long term health of the game, but shows little understanding or love of the sport.

More specifically the instigator rule is a point of contention. Many players, fans, and journalists disagree with it. I'm torn.

Oh, and as I posted during the playoffs, Bettman is a fascist. Banning Al Sobotka from twirling octopi was really necessary?

No comments: