Monday, September 01, 2008

Stanley Cup, tattoo me, Castroneves controversy

So I traveled to Detroit over the weekend primarily to see the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix. However there was one big surprise.

A friend called me the night before the race, and told me Stanley was in town tomorrow. Whoa! That upset my plans a bit, but I wasn't about to let that opportunity pass me by. Not when I was that close, and not when my team just won it two months ago. It was great to see in person. It was just as fun meeting new people who were in line with me. The guy in front of me told me stories of him meeting Red Wings players. I explained to the people behind me that there's really three Cups. All good fun.

stanley_me


So after chatting with friends, old and new, it was off to my previously arranged meeting.

I'd been chatting with friends for a couple of years about getting a tattoo. I don't remember if I ever vocalized that I'd get one the next time the Wings one another Cup. It might've just been in my mind. Anyway, I couldn't just get one anywhere, it had to be in Detroit ... or at least the metropolitan area. Didn't have time during the parade festivities. So anyway, I got my first tat yesterday.

my_tat

Pretty cool, eh?


Then it was off to the race. Easy enough to get there, especially since it's on an island, but the previous engagements left me a bit behind the power curve. I just missed the start of the race, which I really wanted to see or at least hear the call to start engines. That's because Detroit Red Wing Kris Draper was the grand marshal. As such he should've given the call for the drivers to start their engines. It's pretty cool in my opinion to see the NHL and IRL interact so much. The Nashville Predators captain was the grand marshal at the Nashville race. Now they're both leagues are on Versus ... hmmm.
Anyway, it was a decent race. I highly recommend sitting in the grandstands. With all the safety barriers it's nearly impossible to see the cars from the infield general admission section. If I'm able to go next year, I'll be in the grandstand with plenty of sunblock!
The controversy: Helio Castroneves who at the time was leading the race, was instructed by race officials to let Justin Wilson, the second-place driver, pass.
With Wilson breathing down his neck, Castroneves moved his race car into Wilson's path three times on lap 72, forcing IndyCar Series officials to make the rare and controversial decision to compel Castroneves to allow Wilson to speed ahead of him into first place.
In my opinion it was a call that had to be made.
I thought that Castroneves' moves were dangerous and unnecessary. Wilson appeared to have the better car. If Helio continued to block Wilson an accident could've happened, and both would've been taken out. With about 18 laps left, Wilson would've passed Castroneves anyway. Wilson was that much faster.

wilson

Anytime I go to Detroit I always I have fun. This time was no exception, and it was extra special.

No comments: