Monday, September 22, 2008

Yzerman man-crush continues

As if I needed another reason to continue my Steve Yzerman man-crush.
Yet this article by Jim Boone deepened it.

Yzerman in his first NHL season.
yzerman_rookie
Steve Yzerman played his rookie NHL season in 1983-84 scoring 39 goals and 87 points. (Getty Images)

Anyway Boone says Stevie Y would be the first hall of famer in his fantasy hall of fame, one for the fans.

At a year-end beach party during the final days of my 11th grade in high school, a group of my friends were clowning around on a local Ottawa beach. An accident occurred and one of my peers was left paralyzed and wheelchair bound for his remaining days.
I visited my friend in the hospital one day following the accident and he was happier than ever. He told me Steve Yzerman had just left the room. It was the spring of 1984 and Yzerman was only 18 years old. He had just completed his rookie season in Motown, setting franchise records for goals and points by a rookie with 39 and 87, respectively. He almost won the Calder Trophy (Tom Barrasso won) and was considered a local hero in Ottawa since he grew up playing in the community. My school friend was around 16 years old at the time and was recognized as a very good player in the same local league Yzerman had played in.
The fact Yzerman had taken the time to lift my friend’s spirits stuck with me. For years I thought I was the only hockey fan who held him in such high regard. When we started the NHLFA in 1998, I was thrilled to learn hockey fans all across North America revered Yzerman in much the same way I did. The guy had a positive effect on so many people in so many different ways.

That alone would be enough, but it's just the prelude. Below is the conclusion.

Ten, 11, 12 years passed in Detroit and the Wings still had not won a Cup with Yzerman at the helm. Then it finally happened in the spring of 1997.
My community quickly renamed an arena in town the “Steve Yzerman Arena” to honor his achievements. Yzerman showed up at the rink with the Stanley Cup. He walked into the arena and did not stop walking, showing the same focus he displayed when he had the puck and headed for the net.
He did not stop marching until he reached my old high school buddy, sitting in his wheelchair amongst the fans. He placed the Cup on my friend’s lap, triggering the greatest smile you have ever seen on a guy’s face. His smile lit up the room and the front page of the local paper the next day.

No comments: